Glossary of Terms: R-S Terms

Glossary of Terms: R-S Terms

A rectangular cut consisting of two surfaces cut on edge of a member parallel with the grain; a rabbet has two surfaces.

Rabbet Joint:
A joint formed by the rabbet(s) on one or both members; also rabbeted edge joint; rabbeted right angle joint.

A horizontal member of a window or door sash. Also the direction in wood grain passing across the annual growth rings and thru the pith.

Rough Opening Height:
The vertical distance required for the insertion of a door or window. Measured between the header or lintel and the extreme edge, nose, or lip of the door sill slope.

Rough Opening Width:
The horizontal distance required for the insertion of a door or a window. In a wood frame wall, the width is measured between the entrance opening double studs. For a masonry wall, measurement is between the jamb bricks or blocks.

Screen Door:
A door usually occupying the exterior rabbet of an exterior door frame whose purpose is to keep out insects by means of insect wire screening while admitting the maximum amount of air.

Glistening brightness; luster.

An assembly of stiles and rails, with or without a wood panel containing single row of glass panels or lights. Installed on one or both sides of an exterior door frame, especially a front entrance door frame; provides light, especially for an entry hall, as well as decorative appeal.

The first members of a frame set in place. The horizontal member that forms the base of a window.

Sliding Door:
A door which slides in a horizontal direction parallel to a wall of the structure; may be of the "pocket" or "in-the-wall", "folding" "accordion" or the "bypass" type.

Sliding Door, Pocket-Type:
A door which slides horizontally into a wall pocket or slot recessed into the wall of a structure imparts additional space to a room compared to the conventionally-hinged door since no swing space is required; see Door Frame (pocket-type door frame).

Any of various mechanical parts that revolve or serve as axes for larger revolving parts, as in a lock, axle, or lathe. Any o f various long thin stationary rods, as in a baluster.

Split Jamb:
A split jamb is constructed to enable a pocket type sliding door or a vertical sliding sash to enter the partition.

Spring Hinge:
A hinge containing one or more springs to move the door into the desired position. It may be either single or double acting.   

The upright or vertical outside pieces of a sash, door, blind or screen; "style".

Stock Millwork:
Millwork manufactured in a standard size pattern and layout, readily available from a distributor's inventory and ready for installation upon delivery to the construction site.

A moulding primarily used in window and door trim that is positioned to stop the door or window sash from opening beyond a set point.

Storm Door:
A panel or sash door occupying the exterior door frame to provide protection from cold weather.

Strike Plate:
A metal piece mortised into or fastened to the face of a door frame side jamb to receive the latch or dead bolt when the door is closed; also strike.




Back To Top